Join us for an entire weekend of Fantastically Beasty Events in Honor, of course, of Harry Potter's Birthday!
Saturday, July 29
- All day – Fantastic Beasts Trivia Challenge
- 10:00 am – Fantastically Beastly Story Time (ages 0-3): songs, games, and fun.
- 12:00 pm – Be a Niffler / Build a Niffler (ages 5+): Go on a treasure hunt in the store and then build a Niffler of your own to take home.
- 1:30 pm – Dream Your Own Wizarding World (for kids, teens, and parents): What kind of magical world would YOU build? What kinds of schools, ministries, and rules for living alongside muggles? Come dream and discuss along with 2 passionate Potter fans ages 9 and 13.
- 6:00 pm – Fantastic Beasts Trivia Challenge: Whether you know the answers or have taken a swig of felix felicis, play for Pride and Prizes!
- 6:30 pm – Movie Time: Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them, along with popcorn and a selection of treats from Kowalski Quality Baked Goods.
- 9:00 pm – What’s Next in the Potter Universe? A talk and discussion led by Potter Superfan Lorrie Kim, author of Snape: A Definitive Reading (teens and adults): How does Fantastic Beasts fit into the wizarding world? Now that there are five scheduled Fantastic Beasts movies, what might happen next? Will we still love Dumbledore when this unfolds? How will Newt earn his Order of Merlin? Speculation, deductions, text clues, and wild flights of fancy all welcome!
Sunday, July 30
- 10:30 am – 1 in Tens of Thousands? Race and Sexuality in the Potter Universe Lecture/discussion with Potter expert Lorrie Kim, author of Snape: A Definitive Reading (geared for older teens and adults): With exactly one character out of hundreds who is identified as gay, J.K. Rowling’s world is way more heteronormative than the Muggle world. And issues of race and racism in the Wizarding World have grown even more troubled as Rowling writes wizard history onto Native American and African cultures. We love Potter, and we want our whole selves represented in the world of wizards. Join us for a heated discussion and debate! Bagels, tea, and juice will be provided.